Tuesday 17 April 2012

Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker


I have a Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker that comes to the same tree every year, every Spring.  He drills tons of holes (and eats the sap, I presume).  I see him every Spring--and he stays on the same tree. He must be on his way (migrating?) to somewhere because he only stays a few days.  Since Birds do not pose for sketching, I looked in my Bird Book and sketched from there--to get all the little dabs of black or white in the right places (also the very light yellow belly :-)
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This is so good, that it looks real. You have been a busy artist lately.

PAK ART said...

I love it. It is very hard to draw birds from real life. They move so quickly.

Ellen said...

Marj, this bird is beautifully painted and how wonderful that he visits you every year! I love the way you did the background, too!